Lawyers are obligated to protect the confidentiality of their client’s data, and law firms have to pay closer attention to confidentiality than the average business. If law firms do not secure their client communications and other data, they could violate the attorney-client privilege, lose clients, be subject to malpractice actions, damage their reputation, and possibly also lose their license to practice law.
Of firms falling prey to phishing attacks
Of data stolen by cybercriminal gang calling itself “REvil” from the New York law firm Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks
Increase of cyber attacks on law firms since the beginning of the first lockdown in 2020
Emails related to Donald Trump published after a firm refused to pay 84 mil$ ransom
Nowadays, law enforcement officers no longer have a monopoly on surveillance technology. Stingrays and IMSI catchers, SS7 hacks, and malware infections are all also available to cybercriminals. Here’s why confidential communication is so important for legal professionals and law firms:
- Industrial espionage occurs in many sectors, and the nature of the information shared with lawyers makes them potential targets for eavesdropping.
- In criminal investigations, intercepted communication can help the claimant prepare for the planned legal defense and perhaps refute it.
- If a client approaches a lawyer for advice about a potential seizure, that communication alone is enough for law enforcement officers to freeze the client’s accounts.
People who have legitimate reasons to worry about surveillance need a complete approach to mobile security. It boils down to understanding surveillance technology and the vulnerabilities it exploits. Once you know what to look for, you can choose the right tools to secure your communications.
The above is an integral part of Secure Group’s mission as a company. We believe that technology should be a means to enable perfect communication secrecy, rather than a barrier.
Secure Group offers end-to-end encrypted communication solutions designed to guarantee the confidentiality of peers’ correspondence and protect sensitive data. It combines strong encryption for communications with modifications on the device that make it resistant to hacking. Organizations that choose us can:
- Rely on Secure Group’s mobile solutions for communications – join P2P and group chats, make and receive VoIP calls, and transfer files thoroughly secured through end-to-end encryption.
- Count on the data-at-rest security techniques that encrypt the application’s databases and physical storage, ensuring no software or physical tampering can extract data from the device.
- Use the device’s wipe capabilities to erase sensitive information if necessary; set up a duress password that can wipe the phone from the lock screen.
- Leave no trace online – the device doesn’t feature Internet browsing or Google Services, which limits tracking options significantly.